‘Detoxing’ and ‘Detox Diets’ and ‘Detox Clenses’ seem to be all the rage lately … and probably for good reason! We ingest all kinds of stuff that’s no good for us on a daily basis … and probably a lot of it without even realizing! Toxins come from the air we breathe, the food we eat, and other chemicals or substances we come in contact with all day long.
Well … I’ve got my own ‘detox’ recipe for you today. One that involves two fingers and about 2 seconds of your morning routine.
Interested? Think you can make time for that?
Oh, and did I mention it tastes great?!?
Let’s start from the beginning …..
You don’t have to look far to read about the amazing benefits of drinking lemon in your water each morning. Seriously … if you haven’t heard about it, google it or search for it on Pinterest. You’ll instantly have 5, 10, or 21 reasons WHY you should be drinking it.
Let me give you the cliff notes version today (and you can go click to my sources below if you want more in-depth details) …
- First off … drinking water (and in a good amount) first thing in the morning is great all by itself. Before you grab that cup of coffee, before you jump in the shower, before you make that smoothie … water is so important. I heard somewhere that it’s like ‘a bath for your insides’, and while that is slightly gross … it has also stuck in my head. Clean your body from the inside out each morning!
- Next … the part where lemon comes in: Lemon is good for your liver, kidneys, and lymph system. It helps break down, and thus helps eliminate toxins from the body. It also reduces inflammation and oxidation in the liver (source).
- Lemon (and especially Lemon Essential Oil) contains d’limonene, a a powerful cancer fighting antioxidant, and has been shown to prohibit the growth of tumors (source).
- Lemon oil promotes a healthy immune system. Lemon oil is high in vitamins (and, in particular, vitamin C), which makes it a wonderful booster for the body’s immune system. It has also been shown to stimulate white blood cells, thus increasing your ability to fight off diseases (source).
- It improves digestion. This, along with its ability to help flush your body of toxins, promotes clearer, more radiant looking skin. The vitamin C is also necessary for collagen production, which in turn promotes smoother, more healthy looking skin (source).
- Lemon water has been shown to help with alertness and focus. And I for one could use some of that these days!!
The many benefits you can find go on and on (but those listed above are my top reasons for drinking it).
Because my mornings are crazy … and because I usually want to get to my coffee (which I won’t allow myself to do until I have two large glasses of water down) … and because I want to make the most of every single minute I may get to myself each morning … I have simplified things (also … I’m lazy at times).
Here’s my routine:
- Fill a glass with water (I don’t usually have ice …)
- Drop 1-2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil into water.
See … two fingers and two seconds (okay …. maybe more like 5 seconds) to better health:
This is SUCH an easy way to start your morning out right. It tastes great (and the smell also gets you going for the day), it makes you feel instantly energized, it cleans out your insides, gives you some important vitamins and antioxidants, it makes your skin look better, and it can even kill that bad breath (in case your hubby wants his morning kiss before you get to brushing those teeth)!
How could you NOT want to try this one easy step each morning?!?
Doesn’t it look appealing (especially now that you know all the good things it can do for you?!?):
I challenge you to try drinking two BIG glasses of water with 1-2 drops of lemon oil (total) every morning …. first thing. I want to know how good you feel after two weeks. More energy? Clearer / smoother skin? More focus and brainpower?
Do it for two weeks, and then come back and drop me a note.
An added bonus??? If you’re pregnant and suffering from bouts of morning sickness (or all day sickness!), drinking lemon water can help reduce nausea and vomitting. The water will hydrate you (always important during pregnancy), and the lemon has shown to significantly reduce that sick, nauseated feeling you might have while your body works hard creating that little one inside!
And … in case you’re curious, Lemon Essential Oil is one of the most versatile oils! It can whiten teeth, freshen laundry, help banish skin blemishes, can clean and disinfect, can work as a bug repellent, aid in weight loss, can be added to foods and other beverages to enhance flavor, can remove oil spots from clothes, crayon marks from most surfaces, soothe calluses, reduce cellulite(!), freshen carpets, and eliminate odors!
Crazy, right?!? Who knew!
Fun fact: It takes 70 lemons to make one 5mL bottle of essential oil!
And lemon oil isn’t the only oil that is great in water! How about Peppermint (especially good to ease any indigestion), Citrus Fresh, or even Grapefruit:
If you’re excited about getting started with Lemon Oil and other Essential Oils, get more information on where to buy these oils HERE:
Thanks for stopping by and I’d love to hear what some of YOUR stay healthy’ tips are!
Important Note about ingesting Essential Oils:
Not all essential oils are edible. Due to lack of purity, 98% of essential oils sold should NOT be ingested. An edible essential oil will be labeled “therapeutic-grade” and have a “Supplement Facts” box on the label showing the nutritional value – do NOT use just any brand of essential oil for cooking/flavoring foods. Be sure to use pure oils from reliable sources, not synthetic scents or flavorings.