Do you remember three months or so ago when I mentioned we had a Superhero Birthday Party for Owen’s 4th Birthday? And how I also said I would be back to share some of the details? Well … if you were holding your breath, I’m sorry you passed out long ago.
I had a minute to sift through the pictures this past weekend, so I’m finally sharing some of the highlights …
Let me start with the capes. All Superheroes must have a cape, right?!? Well, we made 20. Here are some …
Felt + more felt + fusible web = Superhero Cape!
Here are the basics of cape making:
First, cut the large cape shape out of felt. I didn’t take pictures of this … but one helpful hint is the fold the felt in half, then cut half the shape (when you unfold it, you will have a symmetrical cape!).
Next, for the logo ….
- First, you’ll need your desired Superhero’s logo. Google this … there are lots of free ones to print out. Print the logo the same size you’d like it to be on the cape.
- For the Batman logo above, I cut two pieces of felt … one for the black ‘bat’ and one for the yellow circle. For the bat, I traced the logo onto the fusible web (right onto the paper on one side).
- Peel off the paper on the other side of the fusible web, and stick it onto your black (bat) felt.
- Cut the shape out (with the one side of paper still attached).
- Next, trace your circle the same way and cut out.
- Then … peel the other side of the paper off the bat and stick onto yellow oval. Then, peel the other side of the paper off the oval and stick onto cape. Using an iron, iron all layers of felt together. The heat melts the fusible web, and creates a permanent bond for all layers. That’s it!
And … not to forget the very little ones present, we also made Superhero Bib Capes for the babies:
Basically, same process as the big capes, only for this cape shape, I traced an existing bib, then added snaps.
Along with a cape, every Superhero seems to need a mask (not entirely sure why), but we made a few of these, too:
They’re even reversible … ‘cuz you never know what color you’ll be in the mood for when you’re saving the world.
Here’s how these were made:
- First, you’ll need a template. I had a mask from somewhere that I traced onto cardboard. I used this to make these masks.
- Cut out two pieces of felt in the shape of the mask … one in each color.
- Match the two colors up.
- Cut a piece of elastic about 12″ long.
- Place each end in between the felt layer and pin.
- Finally, sew mask together. I used a straight stitch around the outside and a zig-zag stitch around the eye holes.
That’s it … now our Superheroes have a cape and mask …
Next up, Superhero Light Sabers …
Check out the full tutorial on these here.
Now, for the party games … how about a DIY Piñata? We actually forgot about breaking this out until most of the guests were gone, but oh well! Owen and his cousins had quite the fun trying to break this … and then 5 lbs of candy to split between the four of them!
For more on how we made this check out THIS POST.
And the last little detail, the Lollipop Capes for party treats and favors:
These were pretty simple, too …
- Cut the cape shape out of felt
- Print superman logos and cut out (I used the printable ‘stickers’ I found here)
- Cut a hole for lollipop stick, place lollipop stick through hole, and tie with a ribbon underneath.
These were also a hit … but not because of my fancy capes. The 4 year olds in attendance really couldn’t have cared less about the lollipop capes … they just wanted the suckers! I was picking up little mini discarded capes all over the house after the party.
That’s is for the DIY, but here are a couple shots from the party:
Watch out, we have a Superhero (or 20 in the house):
Ben spent most of the party hanging out on the counter (and then being passed amongst the grandparents) …
Charlie continued the Superhero fighting long into the evening (even in his jammies). Watch out Grandma!
It was a fun party! A bit of a blur … with a two week old, and a house full of friends, but SO fun! And, most importantly, Owen had a great time!
How about you guys? If you have boys (or girls, I guess), are they into the Superhero thing? Owen is slightly obsessed lately, and I’ve never read so much about every superhero in my entire life! (Did you know there’s an Antman or one called Hawkeye?!?!? News to me). Anyway, thanks for stopping by today!