Guacamole for breakfast?!?!
Really … I’m not joking! It actually is delicious plus it’s healthy, and gives you a super shot of energy to start your day. (It’s worth trying, believe me!!)
It may not look super appetizing:
Yep, even that super cute placemat underneath doesn’t hide the fact that it kinda resembles a bowl of mush. But it’s a tasty bowl of mush, and it is SO, SO, SO good for you!! It’s really the perfect way to start your day (along with a good, strong cup of coffee …).
This is our fourth week of recipes featuring AVOCADOS (July’s ‘food of the month’ … more about that HERE), and really … this couldn’t get much easier.
This guacamole involves a couple things that I realize everyone might not love … especially for breakfast; salsa and sauerkraut. Did you run away after that last word?!? Come back and just listen a minute. Matt got me hooked on this combination (of avocados, eggs, salsa, and sauerkraut) awhile back, and I love it … but I also realize it’s not for everyone. In that case … you can modify this (and make it even easier) by just making Baked Eggs and Avocados:
These are also a wonderful way to start your day … and even easier than the ‘guacamole’ recipe above!
Let’s get started with the basics (for either option above) …
For just the BAKED EGG + AVOCADO:
- 1 large, ripe avocado (the bigger the better …). For more tips and tricks on how to tell when an avocado is ripe, check out the video in THIS POST).
- 2 eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
And, if you’re up for trying the full BREAKFAST ‘GUACAMOLE’, you’ll also need these:
- Sauerkraut (find it in the refridgerated section, and look for the words RAW and FERMENTED or PROBIOTIC to give you the most benefits)
LET’S MAKE IT!
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees
STEP 2: Grab avocado and cut in half … the long way:
STEP 3: Remove pit and scoop out some of the inside of the avocado in order to form a ‘bowl’ for the egg. (side note: this recipe is Matt’s expertise, but he was out of town; Lesson learned: scoop a bit more than you think you’ll need or your egg will over flow (like mine did) … although they ended up turning out just fine FYI).
STEP 4: Set the eggs on a baking sheet, crack your eggs, and pour into each side of the avocado’s ‘bowls’. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top. (tip: your avocado will want to tip towards the smaller end once you pour in the egg. To avoid this, prop the smaller ends of the avocados up on the edge of your baking pan to help keep level)
STEP 5: Bake for 20-25 minutes.
STEP 6: Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before proceeding …
STEP 7: Serve up your BAKED EGG AND AVOCADOS (using a spoon, scoop around edge of skin to remove, slice egg and avocado into smaller pieces, add a little more salt and pepper (if you have my tastes), and enjoy!!
—> BAKED EGGS + AVOCADOS (delicious!!):
STEP 8: BUT …. If you’ve decided to be bold and go for the full guacamole this morning, grab your salsa and sauerkraut:
STEP 9: Pour a little of each next to your baked egg and avocado:
STEP 10: Mix it all up (best part!!) and enjoy:
It really is delicious … and it keeps you full and satisfied all morning long (maybe longer …).
Still skeptical about this Breakfast ‘Guacamole’?!? Here a just a couple reasons why you should give it a try …
- The avocado provides all kinds of healthy fats that your body needs. You can read a bit more about why this fruit is so good for your health (and watch a quick video) in THIS POST, but basically … it’s good for your brain, heart, eyes, helps regulates your blood sugar, may lower your cholesterol, can help prevent or fight certain types of cancer … and can even help you lose weight! You really should learn to love this fruit.
- The eggs. I’m a huge fan of eggs all around. I think they’re a great choice for breakfast, and there’s a lot of research to back that up! They’re often referred to as ‘Nature’s Multivitamin’ because they’re full of good stuff! They’re full of B vitamins, full of choline which is wonderful for your brain, a great source of protein and amino acids, and can … just like avocados … help you lose weight!
- And finally … the sauerkraut! Make sure to purchase from the refrigerated section (i.e. NOT Frank’s), but real, authentic, sauerkraut that has been fermented to bring out the tangy flavor … can do wonders for your gut! It’s a natural probiotic, and the healthy bacteria in it will help you digest your food (and all those wonderful nutrients) better. Don’t let all those vitamins, antioxidants, and other healthy ‘stuff’ in your meal simply ‘wash away’. Do your gut a favor, and feed it the right stuff to help it absorb all those nutrients … and leave you feeling healthier and more energetic!!
Sound good enough to at least give it a try?? It really is a perfect way to start the day (however, it’s also a great lunch or snack idea, too).
Love avocados or want to love avocados? You can see all the AVOCADO recipes this month HERE.
See you next Wednesday for one final avocado recipe for July! Until then, I’d love to hear about the ways in which you enjoy your avocados!! Share away …