Remember how I said I was going to fill you in on all the details of Owen’s 4th Birthday party … ?!?!
Well, I sure hope you haven’t been holding you breath! One of these days I really will share some pictures and details of the day, but today I have another DIY project we made for it … Superhero Light Sabers made from Pool Noodles!
Today marks the 6th week of our fun Summer series … Think Outside The Toy Box, a collaboration with five other bloggers and myself to try to come up with NEW and CREATIVE ways to use household items (that aren’t traditionally thought of as toys). This week’s theme was Pool Noodles!
You might remember the DIY Piñata we made for Owen’s Superhero themed party. You know, the one I completely forgot to break out during the actual party?!? I shared that several weeks ago as part of out Think Outside The Box Series when the challenge was Paper Grocery Bag crafts.
We made a couple other DIY Projects for the party (capes, masks, Lollipop capes, etc), but today I’ll share how we made these quick and easy light sabers out of pool noodles.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pool Noodles (each full size pool noodles makes two light sabers). I bought my noodles at Target for $2 a piece. I choose the 2″ diameter noodles (as opposed to the 3″ for twice the price). I just grabbed a couple of every color they had.
- Sparkly Duct Tape (I found mine at JoAnn, but I’m pretty sure Target aslo carries this tape in one of the hardware aisles).
- Plain silver duct tape
- Black Electrical tape
Here’s how easy it is:
- Cut the noodle in half. (that picture looks kinda violent, huh?)
- Each half will make one lightsaber
- Make an X with the silver duct tape on one end
- Stick the ends of the X down to the sides of the noodle
- Using the sparkly glitter duct tape, cover the end with 5-6 pieces of tape.
- Use the black duct tape, create designs over the duct tape. You can get as fancy or as plain as you want here. In the interest of saving time, I choose the more simple look!
The kids loved them! Check out my awesome action shots … (okay, I realize these are horrible pictures … must of had the camera set wrong for the entire party … oops!).
Kenny in full superhero attire … and armed with a light saber! Watch out!!
Now … I really meant for these light sabers to be party favors and to be sent home with each kid. Apparently, I didn’t make that very clear because I’m pretty sure we still have 18 of the 20 I originally made!! Ugh! What do you do with 18 light sabers?!
NOTE: If you’re reading this, and you were at the party … COME BACK AND GET YOUR LIGHT SABER!!!
And one more quick shot of the festivities … Superhero cake break (again, sorry for the poor quality picture!!):
Here’s your turn!
What fun crafts, experiments, or games have you done using Pool Noodles? Link ’em up here, and share in the fun!
Now .. stop over to check out the other ladies participating in this fun series and see what they came up with this week:
Up next Monday … Wax Paper! And here’s the schedule for the rest of the summer. We’d just love for you to join in the fun and link up some good ideas each week!
May 26 – Glow Sticks (Check out our Glow Stick Lightning Bugs) June 2 – Plastic Soda Bottles (Check out our Glitter and Glue Timeout Bottles) June 9 – Paper Bags (Check out our Paper Bag Pinatas) June 16 – Kool-Aid (Check out our Kool-Aid Play Doh) June 23 – Ice Cream Cones (Check out our Edible Stamp Art with Edible Paint)
June 30 – Pool Noodles
July 7 – Wax Paper
July 14 – Puzzle Pieces
July 21 – Paper Cups
July 28 – Plastic Milk Jugs
Thanks so much for stopping by today!