I mentioned my love for all things SUMMER yesterday, and today I have an all out summer inspired project for you. Best part is … a bunch of other bloggers are also sharing their love for summer with all kinds of summer DIY projects linked up at the end of this post!
Today … I’m showing you how simple it is to make a case for your sunglasses! If you can sew a couple straight(ish) lines, that you can make this … I promise! And picking out fun fabric is the best part (so many options!!).
This case will fit nicely in your beach bag or purse and will protect those expensive glasses from scratches (or your $4.99 pair from Marshall’s … I’m classy like that).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Outer Fabric (~12″ x 12″ piece will do). I like using home decor or canvas fabric to give the case a bit more stiffness and structure.
- Felt for lining. You can get by with just one piece of 8.5″ x 11″ felt.
- EZ Steam Fusible Web
- Fold Over Elastic
- Embroidery Thread
- Templates (it’s super easy make your own!) – One roughly 9.5″ long x 4.5″ wide with the top corners of one end cut at a slight diagonal (see right template in picture above). The other template is a ~7″ x 4.5″ rectangle.
- First, make your cuts. You’ll want to cut 6 pieces: A front and back out of the felt, outer fabric, and fusible web:
- Next, grab your felt and outer fabric pieces and match them up with right sides facing:
- Sew the top seams:
- Flip right side out and press out corners for crisp lines:
- Next, grab your fusible web pieces that you cut. Peel off one side of the paper and stick it to the felt as shown:
- Peel the other side of the fusible web off, then smooth outer fabric piece down onto the web pressing from the top (stitched part) down:
- Place the fusible web into the other piece just like you just did:
- Iron each piece. Place a medium-high iron onto the fabric side of each piece (don’t iron directly onto the felt … trust me):
- Next, match up back and front pieces with right sides facing and sew the three sides:
- Flip the case right side out:
- Fold over top flap to measure where button should go, and sew button into place with embroidery thread (my hand … and make sure you only go through the front piece … obviously).
That’s it! A cute, stylish, and very practical case for your
Ray Bans $4.99 cheapo glasses:
The case is way prettier than the actual glasses it contains …
Grab your personalized beach bag, giant sunhat, and head to the beach!
Or throw in a few more accessories:
Okay … now that we’ve got your sunglasses covered, there is so much more inspiration going on this week. Some bloggy friends and I are each sharing some fun SUMMER inspired ideas this week!
You can see yesterday’s awesome projects below (links to projects below collage):
And today’s awesome projects:
And then … stop back tomorrow to see these six awesome projects:
These projects won’t be live until tomorrow … fyi (be sure to stop back!)
You can join us in the summer celebration by using the hashtag #summercelebration on Instagram!