I realize cabbage is a pretty ‘unsexy’ food. Unless you’re making cole slaw for your summer BBQ, more often than not, you probably pass over this veggie while browsing the produce section. At least I always did. Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Brussels Sprouts all catch my attention more so than a head of cabbage does. Our veggie CSA this fall, however, was packed full of cabbage each week. That’s one of my favorite things about a CSA … it forces us to learn to cook with veggies we might not otherwise choose. Today we’re sharing a simple Cabbage Stir-Fry recipe that’s great for winter (or all year round).
And it’s healthy!
Cabbage is a cruciferous veggie (along with veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, even arugula). Cruciferous veggies are high in fiber, high in antioxidants, have many anti-inflammatory properties, help the body detox, and may even reduce risk of some cancers due to the high amount of glucosinolates in these sulfur-rich veggies (read more here and here). Cabbage itself is high in vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin B1, folate, choline, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein and niacin. Some studies recommend 5-10 cups of cruciferous veggies a week (3/4 – 1.5 cups per day)! We’ve come up with a simple, quick, and delicious way to help you on your way to that number!
This is a quick and easy recipe that works great as a lunch meal, or as a side for dinner! It really couldn’t be much easier. Bascially, you roughly chop the veggies, throw ’em in a skillet, and sauté for 5-6 minutes. That’s it. We love to use ghee for sautéing veggies because of it’s high smoke point, but coconut oil is a great alternative if you prefer. We also love coconut aminos (similar to soy sauce … without the soy), and fish sauce for adding a ton of flavor to this dish. You can add salt at the end, but be sure to taste it first! I love salt, but often times don’t think this dish needs any.
- ⅔ head of cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 leek
- 2 T sunflower seeds
- handful of arugula or cilantro to top
- 2-3 T of ghee
- coconut aminos
- fish sauce
- hot sauce (if you like it spicier)
- possibly salt to taste (try it first ... you may not need salt)
- Chop the cabbage into 1-2" long pieces (rough estimate)
- Chop the carrots in half the long way, then into ~1" pieces
- Chop the leek by slicing the white part horizontally into ¼" slices
- Melt the ghee (or coconut oil) in a skillet over medium heat
- Add the chopped veggies and sauté for about 5 minutes
- While the veggies are sautéing, season with coconut aminos, fish sauce, and hot sauce
- Add the sunflower seeds into the mix and sauté for another minute or so.
- Remove from heat, top with cilantro, arugula, green onion or any other seasoning you like
I’d love to hear from you guys … what are some ways you enjoy cabbage? If you give this simple stir-fry a try, let me know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!