It’s Wednesday, and it’s time for another healthy recipe … with another healthy ‘ingredient of the month’ for September.
Drumroll please … September’s ‘ingredient of the month’ is …
They are, hands down, Matt’s favorite food of all time. He eats ’em like apples and by the bagful …
Let’s just talk about tomatoes for a minute. I was not a fan of tomatoes growing up (and, truthfully … none of my kiddos are crazy about them either), but now I. LOVE. THEM. Although … not as much as my husband. There’s really nothing better than fresh tomatoes this time of year!!
Tomatoes are actually super healthy for you, too! They are full of vitamins: A, C, and folic acid. They contain both calcium and vitamin K to support healthy bones. They’re full of antioxidants to help combat free radicals know to cause cancer. One of the most important antioxidants in tomatoes, Lycopene, has been shown to reduce the risk of prostate, colorectal, and stomach cancer. They’re also great for your skin, and heart.
Here’s our quick and easy recipe: BLT Salad in Parmesan Encrusted Cups:
I stumbled upon on a recipe for these parmesan encrusted cups and thought they would be perfect for a ‘BLT Salad’! They would also make a great appetizer
Here’s what you need:
Some cherry or grape tomatoes, shaved parmesan cheese, bacon (we love this sugar-free, uncured bacon) and arugula.
Full printable instructions are below, but here’s the picture version:
On a lined baking sheet, make piles of grated parmesan. I used roughly 3 Tablespoons of parmesan for each cup:
Pop these into the oven for approximately 6 minutes (you want the cheese melted, but not brown). Once out of the oven, I let cool for ~30 seconds.
Then, using a spatula carefully scrapped the cups off the sheet and onto muffin cups:
I popped those back in the oven for like 30 seconds to allow them to form into cups:
I threw the muffin tins in the freezer for a couple minutes, and then popped out the cups ready to be filled:
Here’s the printable recipe:
- Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, quartered
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Shredded Parmesan
- FOR THE CUPS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet(s) with parchment paper
- Create piles of parmesan cheese with roughly 3 Tablespoons of cheese each and ~2" apart
- Bake for around 6 minutes (until the cheese is melted, but not brown)
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for just about 1 minute.
- Then, scrape cheese from paper using a spatula and lay over each muffin tin cup.
- If the cheese doesn't dip down into the cups, pop the muffin tins back into the hot oven for ~30 seconds.
- Once out of oven, let cups cool and harden, then stuff with salad!
- Toss in arugula, chopped bacon, tomatoes, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
These would absolutely make an awesome appetizer at your next party … no utensils required (just maybe a napkin!).
…. And they’re fabulous!