It’s Wednesday, and that means we’re back with another great avocado recipe! It’s the third week of our new monthly series featuring one healthy food a month, and if you’ve missed our others … this month’s food is the avocado:
This week, we’re making a smoothie that seems more like a treat or dessert than a healthy ‘snack’. We’re whipping up these Avocado & Mint Shakes (and, let me tell you …. they are delicious!!):
Refreshing, filling, and super nutritious …. you should probably have one every day!
- 1/2 avocado
- A handful of fresh mint leaves (to taste … you can always toss is a couple more to add more flavor after you blend)
- A handful of fresh spinach (maybe ~1 cup of loosely packed leaves)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/3 cup of Coconut Milk. We use the full fat culinary milk (which makes the shake super creamy), but if you’d prefer something a bit lighter you can use regular coconut milk (just use 1 full cup, and skip the water below).
- 2/3 cup of water.
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (optional)
- Dark chocolate shavings for the top (optional)
- Peppermint Essential Oil (optional) … 1-2 drops is plenty to give your shake a minty boost!
Place all the ingredients (except the chocolate shavings) into a blender and blend away! Blend until the ice is pureed and the spinach leaves are well integrated into the shake! Pour into a couple glasses, sprinkle with the chocolate shavings (if desired), and then … enjoy!
Best part about these smoothies? My kiddos love them! They have an obsession with chewing ‘minty’ gum right now, so the minty-ness of this smoothie is perfect for them! They drink ’em up and while they’re doing it I think of all the spinach, healthy fats from the avocado and coconut milk, and the fiber and omega-3’s from the chia seeds!
And these shakes are so creamy that they actually call them ‘ice cream shakes’ and ask for them for a ‘treat’ or for dessert after dinner (when actually the shake might be even healthier than the meal!!).
These shakes remind me of McDonald’s Shamrock Shake that I used to absolutely LOVE. Only this homemade shake can be made anytime of the year (not just around St. Patty’s Day), and is actually good for you. So … bottoms up!
Thanks for stopping by for another avocado recipe today! If you’re looking for more ideas for the avocado (besides in guacamole), check out these two ideas:
Things around the blog have been a bit quiet these past couple weeks (we’ve been out enjoying summer), but next week we’ve got all kinds of posts lined up so be sure to stop back!