Summer is coming. And with that comes long days of riding bikes, climbing trees, pick up games of football, soccer, basketball … and kick the can. It’s a season that we are good at savoring and soaking up every last minute of here in Minnesota (where the season always seems to be too short), but long with all the fun and activity comes some not-so-nice things. Like bee stings. And sunburns. And spiders. Especially spiders. And cuts, scrapes, and bruises. These things are somewhat unavoidable and almost a rite of passage for your childhood years, but they’re also no fun!
Today, I’ve teamed up with seven other bloggers to bring you an ALL NATURAL Summer Survival Kit! Packed with ideas of homemade recipes and treatments for these not-so-fun realities of Summer!
First up … My DIY Ouch Cream! We actually started using this a couple months ago, and love it. We probably overuse it in our house, but if it helps that boo boo feel better … I’m quick to dole it out to my boys!!
Over the past year, I’ve been making a conscious effort to get rid of the store bought, chemical laden beauty products that we have in our medicine cabinet and instead, replacing them with all natural homemade concoctions! This includes any creams, sunscreens, bug sprays, perfumes, and hair products. Basically, anything that goes on our skin I’m trying to get as chemical free as possible!
This DIY ‘Ouch’ Cream has been hard at work in our home … And my boys request it at every slight ‘owie’!!
This cream is all natural and completely chemical free! And it works.
- The Coconut oil is both anti-bacterial and anti-viral and creates a more creamy texture to the wax mixture. It also is soothing to the skin and helps promote healing.
- The essential oils each add antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender is also an analgesic meaning it helps ease the pain on the area. These are powerful, natural ingredients that are a wonderful alternative to synthetic chemicals.
- Almond oil helps reduce inflammation and reduce redness.
- The Witch Hazel is a natural astringent. It helps clean and disinfect the area and also helps with bruising and swelling.
Sound promising?!? You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make, too!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Oil
- 1 stick (~1 oz) of beeswax (I used these bars, but these pellets would have been much quicker to melt)
- Small glass jar (I use these for everything and love ’em!)
- 20 drops each of:
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel
And here’s how you mix it up:
- Add Coconut oil, beeswax, and almond oil in a double boiler (or a small glass bowl inside a saucepan of boiling water).
- Continue to heat until all wax is melted.
- Place melted liquid in a bowl, add Witch Hazel and essential oils and blend until you get a waxy/creamy texture.
- Pour into jar … and let cool!
That’s it! This batch should last you all Summer long!
And with that … here are 7 additional ideas to add to your Summer Survival Kit .. and they’re all ALL NATURAL!! Soon you won’t even need those drug store, chemical filled, supplies!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Friday and Happy Weekend!
If you’re interested in checking out Essential Oils, this month we’re offering a great education pack freebie with every starter kit! Details HERE and more information HERE: